I am very excited! Yesterday we began revamping a room that I have been obsessing about since we moved in has been ‘in the works’ in my mind for quite a while. It is our laundry/mud room! We enter into this room directly from the garage and leave through it every morning so it gets QUITE a bit of traffic. It needs to double as a place to store our coats/bags etc. (we keep our shoes in the garage) and as a place to do our laundry. It is a small tight space with terrible fluorescent lighting that makes the paint colour feel drab and dreary. Ugg. Not what you want to come home to! (Though I can’t express how much of a luxury it is to have an attached garage that connects directly to a mud room, no matter how small it is!). Here are some quick BEFORE pics that we took after we cleared out all of our usual clutter (my little guy really wanted to be in the picture):
You can see that it is basically a hallway with a small area for hooks on one side and an alcove for our washer and dryer. Even though it is small it is relatively functional for us, but it definitely needs a few tweaks in terms of both beauty and function. Using a super cool new program online called the inspiration board, I created a little inspiration board of my own to show you what we have planned:
- Yellow quatrefoil wall paint using a homemade stencil
- Schoolhouse light fixture (moving from the dining room)
- New laundry countertop and shelf built by my Dad (thanks Dad!)
- Horizontal pine paneling painted Cloud White (Benjamin Moore), installed by my husband and father-in-law (yay guys!)
- Pretty glass knobs
- Homemade chalk painted cabinets (using Ash Blue by Benjy)
- Premier Prints Yellow Suzani fabric for a curtain to cover the washer and dryer
- Glass accessories like this drink dispenser to dispense liquid laundry detergent!
There are a few more little ideas up my sleeve too, but I won’t go into those now. I can’t wait to see it all come together, but it will take a little time. I will be posting details about each of these things along the way, so stay tuned!!
And remember, my housie friends, HOME wasn’t built in a day. Enjoy the journey!